I ordered a single PCB like 3 weeks ago, and it finally came today. BatchPCB threw in an extra one, for which I am very grateful, because I am probably going to mess up one board trying to put on the surface mount parts.
I ordered all the parts last week, and they came on Saturday.
Here are some pics:
Once I build the boards and test them out, I will post the results.
After being somewhat disorganized with Germination Station 1.0, I am making a better attempt to plan out future steps to address the problems that I ran into the first time around.
Currently, I am working on a pyQT Gui so that I can communicate and view the sensor data better. It took a while to figure out how to communicate asynchronously with the Arduino. I found an example of an asynchronous I/O program, and I added a pyserial read. Right now, I am reading the serial data and displaying it in a text box. I am messing around with graphing the data, but that is proving to be more difficult.
The next stage will be to develop a serial protocol on the Arduino that I can use to read all the sensors and change parameters.
Test new relay board circuit. Spin PCB design and order prototypes. It would be great to turn this into a little kit. I am going to look into the cost of the BOM and what kind of markup is feasible.
I want to get one variable working from top(gui) to bottom(sensor and variable control).
I plan on growing some blueberries, and I might create a little sub-project that will just water the plants in pots on the deck. That would just deal with moisture and pump control. (I would need to look into some cheap pumps/values.)
Integrate Fire, Wind, and Earth variables one at a time.
I am looking at a hard plastic for the roof so that I can fix some of the water run off issues, but the current quote that I have is pretty steep ($109 for a 4'x8'x 0.125" lexan.). I might try to put that off for as long as possible, but I think that having a hard roof is going to be a necessity.
I have not decided if I am going to implement Xbee on this version. Just the Xbee units would be about $40, and it could cost more if I decide not to use the Xbee arduino adapter boards that I already have. They might have been the reason that the last Xbee units got toasted.